R. W. Hamilton Ltd. : Company History
R.W. Hamilton Ltd. was
founded in May 1952 in St. Catharines, Ontario by Bob
Bob had previously been working as an outside sales representative for the industrial
products division of B. F. Goodrich and noticed the need to properly service
contractors for the Niagara Falls mega hydro power project. This project included
the construction of a tunnel under the City of Niagara Falls to carry water upstream
from Niagara Falls to the Sir Adam Beck generating station in Queenston. Bob
initially specialized in the distribution of industrial hose and power transmission
Business continued to flourish in the Niagara Peninsula with the opening of the
General Motors engine plant and foundry in St. Catharines in the mid 1950's and
the introduction of hydraulic hose and fittings into the product mix in the late
In the early 1960's, Bob opened a branch operation in Hamilton to serve the rapidly
expanding steel mills. The branch was relocated to Burlington in 1968 to provide
a more central location to serve the combined Hamilton-Burlington-Oakville market.
Also in the late 1960's, Bob purchased James-Dieppe Ltd., an industrial distributor
specialing in cutting tools. James-Dieppe Ltd. and the cutting tool lines were
integrated into R. W.
Hamilton Ltd. in 1970.
R. W. Hamilton Ltd. opened a third location in Mississauga in the early 1970's
to serve the rapidly expanding industrial base in this area.
In 1980, Bob's son, Bill, a professional engineer, joined the company. This has
assured the continuation of family ownership into a second generation. Through
the 1980's and 1990's, Bob and Bill worked together to dramatically increase
market share in each of the company's locations. The emphasis has continued on
marketing power transmission, industrial hose, hydraulic and cutting tool products.
Additional lines have been added through the years in order to present a more
complete package to customers. Technical products, such as AC inverters and indexable
cutting tools, have also been added. In 1997, Bob retired, leaving Bill to run
Through the years, R. W. Hamilton Ltd. has concentrated on representing only
manufacturers of quality products. These include T. B. Woods (mechanical and
electrical power transmission products), Goodyear (industrial hose and power
transmission belting),Dixon-Bayco (industrial hose fittings and accessories),
Semperit-Kurt (hydraulic hose and couplings) and Mitsubishi (indexable cutting
Since the founding of the company in 1951, the business philosophy has been and
continues to be TO SELL QUALITY PRODUCTS BY KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF WITH AN EMPHASIS
ON SERVICE. In addition, the company's philosophy for employees has been
and continues to be TO PROVIDE JOB SECURITY AND WHENEVER POSSIBLE TO PROMOTE
FROM WITHIN. It is easy to see why R. W. Hamilton Ltd. has been and remains
one of the most respected industrial distributors in Southern
|© 2014 R. W. Hamilton Ltd.
- All rights reserved
» web design by vaxxine «